Clean water is one of the most important needs of our bodies
We are a water-based life form, we humans. Therefore, clean, safe water is the most important element of a healthy body. It carries nutrients to every cell in our body and flushes out harmful toxins.
Being well hydrated increases the strength of our immune system, and maintains the health of our skin and organs.
For water to act as a nutrient to your body and increase your wellbeing, energy and vitality, it must be filtered (cleaned of toxins, bacteria and chemicals), mineral and electrolyte rich, mildly alkaline, naturally energised and have smaller water clusters.
Finding a pure water source in today’s polluted environment requires being able to think outside the box or plastic bottle. Unsafe water is not just a third-world problem. Finding water that is safe to drink can be even more difficult in industrially developed countries.
Research from all directions continues to show that most tap and well water in the U.S. is not safe for drinking due to heavy industrial, pharmaceutical, radioactive (tritium), and environmental pollution.
This sobering FACT was brought home to us when the Flint, Michigan, United States water crisis was made public.
The Flint water crisis started in April 2014 when the city switched its municipal water source from Detroit’s system to the infamously polluted Flint River, and neglected to add chemicals that would prevent lead from leaching from the city’s pipes into the water. We know now that the water was severely contaminated with lead and bacteria.
Pediatricians say they believe children with elevated levels of lead in Flint will suffer lifelong consequences.
NBC News reports that residents of Jackson, Mississippi, are at risk of lead poisoning, just like residents of Flint. Officials in the state recently released a public statement warning pregnant women and young children to avoid drinking, bathing, or cooking with the tap water of Jackson
The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals said tests of St. Joseph’s water in 2013 found iron levels of 9.74 milligrams per liter … 32 times higher than the EPA’s suggested limit. State Health Officer Dr. Jimmy Guidry said tests have not found dangerous amounts of chemicals in St. Joseph’s water. It’s safe, he says … but he wouldn’t drink it.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency divides water contaminants into two categories:
- Those that pose a health risk and therefore have legal limits. Arsenic, uranium and lead — the contaminant causing problems in Flint — fall under this category.
- Those that don’t pose a serious health risk but can make drinking water look, smell, or taste bad. This category, which includes iron, manganese and sulfate, has suggested limits — but no legal limits.
Flint is not served by private wells, but its battle to get the lead out of the water has triggered alarms in other communities – including those served by private wells, which can draw in corrosive water that leaches lead, copper and other heavy metals from well components, water pipes and plumbing fixtures.
March 9, 2016 researchers from Penn State Extension and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, or Virginia Tech, tested private well systems in their states and found that 12 percent of wells in Pennsylvania and 19 percent in Virginia had lead levels exceeding the maximum EPA threshold for public water systems. Lead poisoning can lead to heart disease, kidney disease and brain damage. It is especially dangerous to children, as small amounts of exposure can cause irreversible developmental delays.
Combinations of persistent chemicals accumulate in fatty tissue such as the brain, breast, prostate and bone marrow which are often the tissues that develop cancers in later years.
Exposure begins in the womb with fat-soluble chemicals in umbilical cord blood crossing the placenta and lodging in fetal fat, which is mainly in the developing brain.
Some recent water quality statistics
- There are 35,000 pesticides containing 600 chemical compounds. Yet municipal water systems are only required to test for six. Many of these chemicals are known to cause birth defects, nerve damage, sterility and cancer. (ABC News)
- The World Health Organization estimates 75-80% of cancer may originate in our water and environment. (Forever Living)
- The General Accounting Office reports that 20% of the nation’s 65,000 community systems are unable to meet minimum standards set by the Safe Drinking Water Act. (Reader’s Digest)
- So far, more than 700 organic chemicals have been identified in drinking water, and some of them are suspected cancer causing agents. (Consumer Reports)
- A recent government study found that more than 25% of all large U.S. public water systems contain traces of one or more toxic substances. Public water systems do not test for the carcinogens and other dangerous chemicals that are being found. (Wall Street Journal)
Common pollutants present in our tap water
- bad calcium (insoluble, lacking electrons)
- bad iron (rust)
- organophosphate residues
- pesticide run-off
- toilet paper (used toilet paper residues are the most common pollutant of tap water)
- tritium (radioactive heavy hydrogen)
Studies of U.S. rivers and streams currently document …
- 100% of U.S. streams have detectable levels of at least one pesticide
- 56% of streams contain one or more pesticides that exceed at least one aquatic-life benchmark
- 50% of shallow wells have detectable levels of pesticides
- 20% of private wells contain at least one contaminant at levels of potential health concern
- 90% of the 139 municipal water systems sampled by EPA in 2003/2004 contained detectable levels of atrazine
- 50% of drinking water sites sampled in the Midwest contain levels of atrazine above EPA MCLs
Endocrine disruption potentially the most serious contributor to cancer risk
In last decade, new research has come to light that demonstrates synthetic chemicals found in our environment and drinking water that are very different in structure to estrogen may act as an estrogen.
These foreign-to-the-body estrogens, known as xenoestrogens, may either bind to the receptor strongly or weakly. They may also stimulate the receptor strongly or weakly to imitate the effect of estrogen, or it may elicit a response that is an abnormal estrogen response.
Xenoestrogens are a primary cause of reproductive health problems in both women and men because they attach to and over-stimulate estrogen receptor sites. This causes changes in estrogen-sensitive tissues like the breasts, uterus and prostate. Xenoestrogens stimulate abnormal changes in these tissues, causing problems like breast cancer, uterine cancer, fibrocystic breast disease, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, premature sexual development, uterine fibromas and prostate enlargement.
Pesticides can influence the development of breast cancer in three main ways: They can act as a “complete carcinogen” – i.e., they can cause normal tissue to undergo irreversible changes that lead to invasive malignancy.
Very few pesticides are complete carcinogens. Far more common are pesticides that can act as tumor promoters, encouraging unruly growth in an existing tumor or area of abnormality. Finally, many pesticides can act as what are called “endocrine disrupters” – that is, they are capable of mimicking hormones such as estrogen that are known to drive cancer growth, or they may interfere with normal hormonal regulation of cell growth, encouraging uncontrolled cell division.
Those with estrogen driven cancers are encouraged to avoid chemicals and foods that act like an estrogen.
We will not be able to reduce the risk of breast cancer without addressing preventable causes, particularly exposure to chemicals.Andreas Kortenkamp, School of Pharmacy, London University (2008)
How estrogen gets into your drinking water
A lot of it comes from the use of the oral contraceptive pill by women. The pill causes women to pass massive amounts of estrogen through their urine, which makes its way to our water systems.
In a 2011 study published in BMJ Open, researchers suggested there might be a link between oral contraceptive use by women, and rising rates of prostate cancer (an estrogen-sensitive cancer) in men, due to the excess estrogen from women making its way into our drinking water.
But women on hormone pills aren’t the only culprits. Estrogen is used almost everywhere nowadays. Large amounts also come from industry, agriculture, household products, and other pharmaceuticals.
Which water filter is best for removing estrogen?
The major types of estrogen found in our water supply include estrone, estradiol, estriol, and the synthetic ethinylestradiol from medications like the oral contraceptive pill.
You could just focus on removing these estrogens from your water supply, and a number of studies have focused on exactly that.
The trouble however, is that many of the other more than 100,000 chemicals in wastewater effluent, also have an estrogenic effect on our bodies. These include dihydrofolliculin, octylphenol, nonylphenol, polyethoxylates, trihalomethanes and bisphenol A.
Scientists have also discovered a new class of chemicals that have anti-androgenic (i.e. anti-testosterone) properties. Anti-androgens can be just as feminizing as estrogens.
So rather than look for a water filter that’s just good at removing estrogen, it’s better to look for one that’s good at removing all toxins and impurities in general. This will not only give you water that has a lower feminizing effect on your body, but removing other toxins will be better for your health in general.
In general, activated carbon filters are your best choice. They remove a wide range of different contaminants, including steroid estrogens and many estrogenic substances like trihalomethanes.
Carbon filters are cheap to buy, cheap and easy to maintain (just one inexpensive cartridge to replace every 6-12 months), easy to install, and don’t take up much space.
Pesticides are undermining our children’s health and intelligence
Kids today are sicker than they were a generation ago, and a growing body of scientific evidence points to pesticides as a reason why.
From childhood cancers to learning disabilities and asthma, a wide range of childhood diseases and disorders are on the rise.
The health risks of chemical exposures differ according to individual risk factors that include health status, physiology and genetics as well as demographic and social differences. Children are most vulnerable due to their higher dietary exposure, contact with the ground, hand-to-mouth behaviour, higher metabolic activity, immature organ systems, longer latency period for developing disease and sensitive development windows so that exposures lead to lifelong consequences.
When comparing children to adults, there are several areas that play an important role in exposures to toxic substances. Starting with the fetus and up to 6 months of age, the blood-brain barrier is in development and does not provide the same protection from toxic substances as in an adult. From birth to 6 months, babies take about 15 times more water than an adult.
The US-based Pesticide Action Network published in 2012 a review of the scientific literature titled ‘Generation in Jeopardy: How pesticides are undermining our children’s health and intelligence’ which reports on the many studies that demonstrate that pesticide exposure compromises children’s cognitive function and leads to later chronic disease.
Pesticides have the potential to contaminate drinking water supplies.
They are applied to farmlands, gardens and lawns and can make their way into ground water or surface water systems that feed drinking water supplies.
A 2013 Environmental Defense Canada report has begun to document the extent to which children are born “pre-polluted. This first of its kind evidence demonstrates that babies are being burdened with a toxic chemical load before they are born.
Fluoride is both an endocrine disruptor and a neurotoxin
Australia is one of many countries that have water fluoridation programs currently operating. As of March 2012, artificially fluoridated drinking water is provided for 70% or more of the population in all states and territories. And about two-thirds of the U.S. population has fluoridated public water.
Health authorities argue water fluoridation (produced from phosphorite rock) is an effective, inexpensive and socially equal way to reduce tooth decay in children and adults.
Scientific investigations have revealed that fluoride is an endocrine disrupting chemical, and a developmental neurotoxin that impacts short-term and working memory, and lowers IQ in children.
It has been implicated as a contributing factor in the rising rates of both attention-deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD) and thyroid disease.
Indeed, fluoride was used in Europe to reduce thyroid activity in hyperthyroid patients as late as the 1970s, and reduced thyroid function is associated with fluoride intakes as low as 0.05 to 0.1 mg fluoride per kilogram body weight per day (mg/kg/day).
There’s no doubt about it: fluoride should not be ingested.
Even scientists from the EPA’s National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory have classified fluoride as a “chemical having substantial evidence of developmental neurotoxicity.” Furthermore, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 41 percent of American adolescents now have dental fluorosis — unattractive discoloration and mottling of the teeth that indicate overexposure to fluoride. Clearly, children are being overexposed, and their health and development put in jeopardy. Why?
A 2009 study that tracked fluoride exposure in more than 600 children in Iowa found no significant link between fluoride exposure and tooth decay. Another 2007 review in the British Medical Journal stated that “there have been no randomized trials of water fluoridation,” which is currently standard for all drugs.
Infants under six months of age should receive no fluoride supplementation.
From the 1950s through to the 1990s, newborn infants were routinely prescribed fluoride drops (“supplements”) as a means of building stronger teeth. Although infants rarely have teeth in their mouth, dentists believed that ingesting fluoride during infancy had a “pre-eruptive” benefit. Under this paradigm, dentists believed that the ingested fluoride would be incorporated into the teeth prior to eruption and, like calcium for bone, make the fluoride-rich teeth stronger for life.
Over the past thirty years, several scientific discoveries have dramatically revised our understanding of fluoride’s benefits, and risks, for infants. Based on these discoveries, a consensus has emerged among even the most ardent pro-fluoride organizations, that infants under six months of age should receive no fluoride supplementation.
Human breast milk contains virtually no fluoride. Breast milk is designed to be the sole source of nutrition for a child, and is thus extremely rich in the nutrients that a baby needs for healthy development.
Despite the fact that the scientific evidence does not support fluoridation, those who question or openly oppose it are typically demonized and written off as crazy conspiracy theorists. Many fluoride supporters claim the science of fluoridation was “settled” some 50 years ago — effectively dismissing all the revelations produced by modern science! To defend their position, they rely on outdated science, because that’s all they have. You’d be extremely hard-pressed to find modern research supporting water fluoridation.
Cognitive decline and rare dementias
Heavy metal toxicity occurs as a result of an accumulation of heavy metals that the body is unable to eliminate through its own natural elimination processes.
The adverse impact of heavy metal toxicity is more likely to become more pronounced in those who have been subjected to exposure to heavy metals in their environment at an early age, and those who have been exposed to relatively lower levels of heavy metals continuously throughout their life and who are now in their 60s and beyond.
Oftentimes, the vague symptoms produced by heavy metal toxicity are mistakenly misdiagnosed as incurable chronic conditions.
Exogenous causes of cognitive decline and rare dementias include toxicity from heavy metals, e.g. lead, mercury, arsenic, manganese and aluminium, and organophosphates and pesticides.
The population affected by cognitive dementia has reached staggering heights, but that’s not nearly as alarming as the statistics pertaining to the deceased and mental decline. Autopsy results indicated that the vast majority of US citizens actually had brains already plagued by dementia-causing plaques while alive but had no outward signs of it.
These results indicate that cognitive dementia begins years or decades before any physically noticeable symptoms kick in; hence leading many scientists to believe that Alzheimer’s prevention is possible and that preventive actions can also lead to the reduction of cases concerning other cognitive disorders. Scientists further implicate that perhaps those already suffering from such illnesses can see dramatic improvements in their cognitive abilities by taking a few essential steps including heavy metal detox.
It is estimated that 24.3 million people worldwide have dementia, with 4.6 million new cases of dementia every year (one new case every 7 seconds). The number of people affected will double every 20 years to reach 81.1 million by 2040.
The 10 Toxic Truths
- Everyone is affected. Toxic chemicals are pervasive and are distributed through long-range environmental transport so that all living things contain pollutants at or near harmful levels. Toxic chemicals are found in all human tissues and in food, soil, air, water and indoor environments.
- The full extent is unknown. Toxic chemicals are often invisible and have latent effects. Over 80,000 chemicals are produced commercially and industrial processes inadvertently create many more. Most chemicals are not tested for toxicity – and very few are routinely tested for in human tissue.
- Tiny doses can have big effects. Dose responses can be non-linear with extremely small doses of endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) contributing to the global increase in obesity, birth deformities, cancers, psychiatric diseases and neuro developmental problems with current findings being “the tip of the iceberg”.
- Bio-magnification occurs up the food chain. Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) last for decades in the environment, accumulate in fatty tissue and magnify up the food-chain. Bio-magnification leads to much higher concentrations in predatory species and human infants who sit at the top of the food-chain.
- Windows of development are critical. The toxic effects of exposure during critical periods can be irreversible, yet remain hidden until later in life. Early exposure can impair intellectual development and metabolism and foster the development of metabolic syndrome, cancer and other chronic diseases.
- Effects are trans-generational. Parental exposure to industrial chemicals affects offspring and future generations. Industrial chemicals can induce genetic and developmental abnormalities and trans-generational epigenetic effects that can lead to abnormalities in the third and fourth generation post-exposure.
- Chemical cocktails are synergistic. Exposure to chemical mixtures is more harmful than individual chemicals. Mixture effects can produce ‘something from nothing’, with toxicity arising even when individual chemical concentrations have no effect, yet chemicals are tested for safety individually, if at all.
- Bioaccumulation occurs over the lifespan. Exposure rates of fat-soluble chemicals often exceed the excretion rate leading to accumulation over the lifespan in fatty tissue such as the brain, breast, prostate and bone marrow. This accumulated body burden crosses the placenta and targets the fetal brain.
- Risk is unequal, unjust and greater for the young. Risks vary with physiology, genetics, demographics and income. Children are most vulnerable due to higher dietary exposure, contact with the ground, hand-to-mouth behavior, higher metabolic activity, immature organ systems and a longer latency period for developing disease.
- Exposure is unequal and unjust and accidents happen. Exposure is not equal and varies with age, income, education, occupation, location, lifestyle, public policy and proximity to industrial accidents. Accidents that inadvertently expose vast populations to toxic chemicals happen at every stage of the industrial chemical lifecycle.
(Professor Cohen’s Ten Toxic Truths article appeared in the March/April 2015 issue of Organic Gardener magazine)
Tapwater sold as bottled water
About 40% of bottled water is nothing more than bottled tap water! Millions of unsuspecting customers are buying filtered tap water and boiled rainwater at massive mark-ups of more than 180,000 per cent.
Drinking water from a plastic water bottle poses serious health risks to you and your family. Not only might you still be drinking all the chemicals you were trying to avoid in the first place, you may be exposing yourself to even MORE chemicals by drinking from plastic bottles, i.e. BPA, Phthalates.
Tap water costs about $0.002 per gallon compared to the $0.89 to $8.26 per gallon charged for bottled water and, as stated above, as much as 40% of bottled water actually comes from the tap anyway, which means you might be paying hundreds or thousands of times more for an illusion of purity.
Get a Filter or BECOME the Filter!
Your most convenient SOLUTION is to filter your own tap water
The most economical and environmentally sound choice you and your family can make is to purchase and install a water filter for your home. Alternatively, you can look around for sources of mountain spring water, which is about as close to ideal as you can get.
Mother Nature’s water cycle does not produce water that is simply H2O. It produces an energised and specifically structured and balanced compound that benefits our body and improves our well-being. Most importantly, it is in a state that our body can receive and absorb.
As it travels through the earth, filtering through natural sand, soil and mineral deposits, the water sheds toxins and picks up minerals, magnetic energy from mother earth and far infra-red energy from the sun, and its structure changes and adapts. By the time it bubbles from a spring and flows down a stream, water contains important properties that are essential for our hydration, essential for life
Counter top gravity water filters are capable of holding multiple gallons, equipped with high quality filtration systems, and require no installation. Installing filtration systems into the plumbing can be hugely expensive and difficult to maintain when the filter gives out.
BEST Buys – Counter Top Water Filters
USA & International
Berkey Water Filtering and Purification Systems (includes fluoride and arsenic reduction)
When it comes to reliable removal of toxic elements such as lead, cadmium, arsenic and even uranium, Big Berkey is the best performing gravity water filter available on the market today.
Berkey Water Filtering and Purification System was by far the best-performing gravity water filter tested, achieving near-total removal of all toxic elements when used with the attached arsenic / fluoride filters (which attach underneath the black ceramic filters). Assembly is straightforward and simple.
Berkey systems can be used to filter both municipality treated water and untreated water from such sources as wells, lakes, streams, etc.. They do not require electricity or plumbing, and there is minimal assembly. The systems are composed of an upper chamber and a lower chamber.
The upper chamber houses the two self-sterilizing and re-cleanable Black Berkey filters. The pores within these filters are so small that no harmful parasites, bacteria or even viruses can pass through.
These systems are able to eliminate chemical and pathogenic contaminants such as chlorine and bacteria to levels higher than 99.99%, while leaving in minerals that are beneficial to health.
Berkey purification systems do not remove the beneficial minerals from the water but they do extract harmful heavy metals such as lead and mercury as well as sedimentary minerals such as iron oxide.
Where the Berkey systems distinguish themselves from many other filtration systems is in their capability, through the use of optional special fluoride filters housed in the lower chamber, to reduce significantly fluoride content. These special filters, referred to as PF filters, also remove any arsenic content that may be found in the water.
All Berkey systems, except for the Berkey Light, are made of high-grade polished stainless steel. The Berkey Light is made of a non-BPA copolyester. All come with 2 self-sterilizing and re-cleanable Black Berkey filters. The fluoride filters are optional, but are often also bundled into the purchase.
Due to the fact that the Berkey water filters do not require electricity and are portable, they become a lifesaver during times of flooding, loss of electricity, and other life threatening emergencies.
The Berkey systems come in many sizes.
Click links below to ORDER:
- Travel Berkey: 1.5 gall. capacity, and can filter and purify 2.75 gallons per hour. Smallest model, suitable for traveling
- Berkey Light: 2.75 gall. capacity, and can filter and purify 4 gallons per hour. Good for about 3 people
- Big Berkey: 2.25 gall. capacity, and can filter and purify 3.5 gallons per hour. Good for about 3 people
- Royal Berkey: 3.25 gall. capacity, and can filter and purify 4 gallons per hour. Good from 4 to 6 people
- Imperial Berkey: 4.5 gall. capacity, and can filter and purify 5.5 gallons per hour. Good from 4 to 6 people
- Crown Berkey: 6 gall. capacity, and can filter and purify 6.5 gallons per hour. Good for 12 people and up
There is also the Go Berkey Kit which is portable, comes with a compact Berkey system, sport bottle, and carrying case. It can be used for hundred of activities such as backpacking, hiking, camping or world travel!
Australia & New Zealand
zazen Alkaline Water Filter System
The zazen Alkaline Water Filter System has been designed by zazen, in collaboration with leading Japanese and Korean water scientists, specifically for Australian and New Zealand water supplies.
The zazen Alkaline Water Filter System has been designed to emulate Mother Nature’s natural water filtration and remineralisation process. Water in nature filters slowly through Mother Earth before bubbling up through a pristine spring, full of energy and lifeforce, essentially living water.
Our drinking water becomes contaminated in two main forms: bacterial and chemical. With a State-of-the-Art 10 stage process, the zazen Alkaline Water Filter System works to clean your water, reducing bacterial & chemical contamination, and then rebalance, remineralise, protect and restructure the water so that you enjoy the very best alkaline drinking water full of essential health benefits.
- Alkalises – pH around 7.4 (can increase up to 8.5 pH using our Alkalinity & Anti-Oxidant Enhancer), depending on your source water
- Reduces Fluoride – Up to 90%
- BPA & Phthalate Free
- Tastes Delicious – everyone loves it, especially kids!
- Exceptional Quality – filters harmful THMs, poisonous heavy metals and other bacteria down to 0.2 micron
- Hydrates – immediately at a cellular level
- Nourishes – with a balanced range of essential minerals & electrolytes
- Cleanses – enabling cells to release toxic waste
Click link below to ORDER:
A word from Catherine …
Buying my zazen Alkaline Water Filter System several years ago was, without question, one of THE BEST buying decision I ever made for the health of my family.
When my local water authority took it upon itself, in the face of strong opposition from local residents, to introduce fluoride into our drinking water, I made it my mission to thoroughly research the BEST FILTER SYSTEM that would mimic the process of a mineral spring, transforming my ordinary tap water into purified, healthy, great-tasting drinking water the way Mother Nature intended.
Trawling through all the research, I learned many water filters not only remove the bad stuff but many of the good beneficial minerals as well, leaving you with effectively dead water. The body needs alkaline mineralised water – not dead water!
Using only gravity, my zazen water filter made from BPA-free plastic creates the right properties and correct structure and energy to allow for optimal cellular hydration, pretty darn close to what Mother Nature intended.
zazen recently introduced a beautiful hand-blown, blue tinted 8-litre glass bottom tank. So if you want to move away from plastic altogether, zazen offers you that choice.
When I leave the house, I decant this delicious tasting “wellness water” into bottles to take with me. I keep it in glass bottles in my fridge for drinking and cooking. Any water that touches my body or my food is filtered.
When my two daughters transitioned into motherhood, it was a no-brainer. They had to have their own zazen Alkaline Water Filter System for the peace of mind it gave me knowing my loved ones were protected.
I recently moved house and, being a totally portable benchtop sytem, my water filter came with me!
What I love THE MOST is zazen’s free Customer Reminder Service that advises me when any zazen Water part needs replacing … so I don’t have to remember!
zazen Water filters and stones carry the zazen Water Quality Guarantee – if you are not 100% happy they will refund your money within 90 days of purchase.
But there’s more! zazen Water Ambassador School Program aims to create a generation of wellness children through educating them in the classroom on the benefits of hydration and by implementing enhanced learning environments with water technologies that improve their physical and mental wellbeing.
If you have any questions, you know I’m here to offer my support and guidance.
In love & appreciation,
Catherine P. Rollins
Founder & CEO